Positive

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I always saw this thing on some columns on the way to ISR, it's by that "do not defecate" sign I saw earlier. I saw positive and negative space here - the dark spray painted parts versus the background. How this was originally made also used positive and negative shapes. When you make this what you cut out first is reversed in regards to what comes out when spray painted.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The word positive can be thought of scientiffically as well - in this case, in regards to physics. Protons are positive. And this weird/ugly drawing I did of an atom has protons in the nucleaus [which actually doesnt really look like that]. But in any case, protons are positive and many things in the physical world can have positive charges.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The dictionary.com defintion of positive talked about the camera and that's why I posted this picture. Film is negative and once it's put in the enlarger and light is exposed on photopaper, and puts the positive image on the paper. So what we see on photographs is the positive, whereas what the camera sees is negative. This picture is from my high school photo class, it's a self portrait.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Positive can also be a direction, as in the x and y positive up and right directions. I always end up choosing scientific or mathematical images. I don't know. Using imagery from that can be very conceptual and helpful.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
When I thought of positive, I also thought of signs - for example, there are negative signs such as "no smoking." So what is their positive counterpart? So I typed in "go sign" in google image search and this is what came up. Signs can be positive and lead us towards a direction as well. That's what positiveness does - it's optimistic and good and can lead a person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home